Skip to main content

The making of my career

For those who know me, they'll know that I was lucky enough to work for an international French luxury brand for 8 years. I started off working in the fashion boutique for 8 months in KLCC, after which I started feeling like a fish in an aquarium with people looking in though we can't really see what's happening outside the boutique with the reflection of glass and all that.

The pay was good. Really good. Despite our basic pay being low, the commission was excellent and I felt comfortable enough to pay for my own expenses. I'm hardly the type to shop so I managed to have a bit of savings then. What made me leave was really the long hours standing. I developed a tiny foot injury (which I still have when I stand for too long). I took a short break before receiving a call from the HQ thanks to the Executive Director who saw the potential in me. I'll always be grateful.

I was made assistant to an ultra chic Communications Manager who had a reputation of being a real challenging person to work with. Yes, it's true, but who can blame her since all she really wants is a job well done at the end of the day? As we grew closer over the years (with me making boo boos and having small successes here and there), we developed this special bond which I don't think I can find with any other boss I work for. We speak in French to each other when the need arises (especially when dealing with annoying people!) and in the office just for fun (when we're not too overloaded by work). I learned that she's a perfectionist with a good heart and a great fashion sense.

I enjoyed my work there dealing with journalists, organizing extra chic fashion shows and classy press launches. I loved the fact that I could travel for business when my boss was pregnant twice and when she gave birth (I was hoping she would have more kids! Heheh!). I attended our Paris fashion shows, got to meet my French counterparts and enjoyed the beautiful scenery (no time for tours but got to see a little bit of Paris in between meetings) and short shopping sprees (H&M was a fave of mine). And I just love their shop windows being so quaint and inviting. The people there are also helpful and polite.

I guess it was easy being with the company for so long thanks to the people I worked with. We hardly had time to talk (the office is really quiet most of the time you can hear a pin drop) but when we had fun, we really had fun. It helped that the MD is also an ultra chic and extra fun person who has a meticulous eye for detail and a caring nature to boot.

Then this year I felt that I needed a change. A drastic one. I decided that I had my fair share of luxury and needed to be a little grounded so I joined a company specializing in kids science camps. The idea of getting grubby excited me! I must say that their programmes are really good and interesting but the planning done in the company is simply anxiety-giving. They had good programmes but didn't know how to market it. They were calculative to the point that they lose out on long-term benefits. They're so secretive about their projects even with their own staff to the point that staff felt like outsiders. The trust was simply not there and so I decided that I would be my own boss. Besides, who can take the place of my previous ultra-chic bosses?

And so the adventure begins...


Popular posts from this blog

NEUTROGENA®'s fashion debut celebrates the joy of healthy skin

Decorated with Mercedes-Benz Stylo's signature colour red, huge flowers, a wall lined with an assortment of single sofas and chairs for guest photo ops and a gold cage in the middle of KL Gateway's centre court, guests were ready to be enchanted by the fashion collection inspired by NEUTROGENA® HAPPY SKIN.
Prettily dressed guests were first ushered to an area where sleek Mercedes-Benz cars were displayed to be admired while they nibbled on hors d'oeuvres and ordered Red Bull served in glasses. At 7.30pm, they were then invited to go the third floor where the fashion show was to be held.

NEUTROGENA®  products were strategically placed at the entrance of the draped show area for guests to try. Beauty Consultants were ready to assist guests with any skincare concerns they may have.

An hour later, the show began once Datuk Nancy Yeoh, President & CEO of STYLO International and Chairman of MBSTYLOAFF arrived but not before Julia Teo, Associate Marketing Director of Johnson…

Plan your next hotel stay in Johor Bahru at Austin Heights Golf & Hotel Resort

During my recent trip to Johor Bahru, we stayed the night at Austin Heights Golf & Hotel Resort which is located at Taman Mount Austin,.

I rarely stay out of Johor Bahru city when I'm there for work so I was curious to find out a bit more about the developer of Austin Heights as this area is newly developed and still being developed. (Austin Heights sounds something out of my Sweet Valley High Book days!)

The Austin Heights Group is a leading property developer that provides innovative, comprehensive and quality homes. The group offers a brand new lifestyle with the first-of-its-kind “no back-lane” cluster home design concepts in Johor, The “HOPSCA-inspired” Austin Heights township is now the Group’s flagship development with excellent take-up rates of its launches and all the completed phases have been 100% sold out.

HOPSCA is a buzzword used by real estate developers that refers to large-scale mixed-use commercial urban developments. It is an abbreviation of Hotel, Offices, …

The Hunt of for the Milky Way Sabah- Day 2 to 4 Ranau and Kundasang

Day 2- Ranau

So hubby and I survived the winter of Tambunan, and we had a simple breakfast of nasi lemak bungkus which was served with a bowl of soup at Tambunan Town (it's a Sabahan norm to have soup served at every meal, we discovered). The group said they were heading to the waterfall about 30 minutes away after breakfast then will check out and head to Sabah Tea Garden, Ranau (where do they get their energy???).

I said we would join them at the waterfall after freshening up at the hotel. Our hotel bed had other plans. It enveloped us and refused to let us go until noon so I meekly messaged Emma that we would join them at Sabah Tea Garden.

After we free-ed ourselves from the clutches of the bed, we made our way to Mahua Waterfall where we were greeted by green and hilly landscapes before reaching a fairly lonely road (really I think we only passed one car on the way there). After a lonely 20 - minute ride, we saw about 20 cars parked at the entrance which is a huge difference …